Monday, August 17, 2009

Jillian Michaels Rant

Did anyone know that Jillian Michael's product line includes the Quickstart Rapid Weight Loss System. Made famous on NBC's hit show The Biggest Loser as a role model, health and wellness expert, and motivor, she has now bought herself sell-out status in my eyes. The woman that once inspired me to lose weight the hard way and suck it up, is now putting her name on DIET PILLS! I'm sorry, she refers to them as supplements. I really don't care if they are filled with all natural ingredients or cocaine; they are diet pills. Just because something is natural doesn't mean that it's good for you and we all know the general rule of thum when putting crap into your body: once you stop taking it, it makes it harder for your body to do it naturally.

On TV and on her website, she preaches about going the all natural and organic route. Wouldn't one think that the most natural way to lose weight is to eat well and exercise? The eye-popping ad I stumbled upon today states, "We all know that if you want to lose weight, you need to reduce your caloric intake. It sounds simple, but the truth is, if it were that easy, most of us wouldn't be overweight in the first place." Upon reading this, I became enraged. I just bought once of her DVD's! I wouldn't have purchased it had I known she endorses quick fixes for weight-loss. Sure, I will grant that eating well is NOT easy for many of us, and obviously it is a problem for those of us who have been or are overweight, but that doesn't mean we have to be the victim of food. We can take control.

Before I made the conscious decision to join Weight Watchers and take control of my health I believed that I didn't have the willpower I once had. I felt powerless. At one point I had the thought that even if I wanted to "become" anorexic again (a ludicrous thought in itself), I wouldn't have the will to stick it out. I also had fallen into the habit of blaming a sluggish metabolism. That was only a crutch. On this journey I have discovered how easy it is rev up your metabolism; all it takes is hard work, but once you get going it is, inways, a little easier.

I am very upset that this woman I looked up to has compromised her integrity by putting her name on this type of product. It contradicts many things she has said in her career...things that have inspired hundreds of thousands of people to deal with their baggage, drop their excuses, and take things into their own, capable hands.

No comments: