Saturday, June 20, 2009

Personal Portobello "Pizza"

This picture does not pick up on the colors in this dish at all. It was much more colorful in real life. I found a similar recipe in a Biggest Loser-themed Prevention magazine extra, but I changed some things. This is how I made it:

1 large portobello mushroom cap
1/4 c. pizza sauce
1/4 c. nonfat mozzarella
1 clove chopped garlic
1 T chopped red onion
1/2 chopped tomatillo
1/2 link lean Italian turkey sausage (cooked, drained, and crumbled)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cilantro

Cook sausage over medium heat. Add red pepper, tomatillo, cilantro, onions, and garlic. Cook until onions are transluscent and garlic is golden brown. Preheat oven to 350. Rinse and wipe mushroom clean of dirt. Place on baking sheet, stem side up. Spoon sauce over cap. Sprinkle with cheese and sausage mix. Cook 6 to 8 minutes.

Servings: 1 per serving: 162 calories, 5 g fat, 3 g fiber

POINTS VALUE: 3

I really liked the idea of using a portobello instead of the bread and it tasted delicious. You could do a meatless version for 70 less calories that would only have 1 gram of fat. I added the red pepper and cilantro to suit my tastes. I love spicy food! I bet a "Greek Pizza" version would be very good as well.

No comments: